Monday, June 21, 2010

Preaching Christ

What is the deal with the world today?

We--that is, Christians--are obsessed with seperating ourselves from others among us who believe differently. I hate to be blunt, but do you honestly think that when we get to Heaven, God is going to ask us whether or not we believed in Immersion or Sprinkling? Or Speaking in Tongues? Or whether contemporary Christian music is evil and we should only listen to Hymns (by the way, Hymns were once looked down upon, even classics like "Power in the Blood")?

No!

He's going to ask us how many people we brought to his kingdom!

In the glorious, early days of the church, the days when thousands upon thousands were added each day, do you know what they preached? What Jesus Himself preached?

Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
 
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
 
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
 
 
Luk 4:43 And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.
 
Act 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.
 
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
 
 
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. We are not to ignore the preaching of the gospel (means "good news"), or the "kingdom of God" or "Jesus Christ", or "deliverance".
 
Honestly, who cares if the Pentecostals believe that you have to get saved every day? They are probably some of the best behaved and Godliest people I have known, and I'm a Baptist, so maybe they're on to something? I do not claim to be a professor of the Bible, or a great Bible scholar, but I do try to study the Bible as best as I can.
 
As far as I can tell, we are to simply preach Jesus Christ.
 
And, for those of you who think that I am talking to ministers, pastors, or reverends, I am not. Preach simply means to "herald, proclaim or publish". We are simply to let others know, and this means EVERY Christian is meant to proclaim the good news to EVERYONE.
 
Everyone includes your best friend, your coworker, even the guy three cubicles down who always smells of body odor, and the girl across the hall who is always trying to tell you how to do your job (I've learned that these people exist everywhere, including online college classes...don't ask!).
 
America is a great nation. I hesitate to say the greatest nation (we are, after all, over $13 TRILLION in debt!!!). We are one of the very few countries founded on Christian values and principles.
 
And yet we argue among ourselves, while the world around us is going to Hell. We are so concerned with trying to be right, to be the "Godliest" that we have forgotten our true mission; the only reason we are still on this earth and not in Heaven with Christ: We are to lead as many as possible to Jesus Christ.
 
So, to recap:

Save a soul...STOP ARGUING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment