Saturday, May 8, 2010

Peculiar???

Proverbs 22:1 KJV


1) A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

Everyone wants a "good name". To be recognized as being unique, as being special.

Society actually markets "unique-ness".
Look at "Preferred Parking" or "V.I.P Parking" or just the "V.I.P" concept in general. And then you have all the metals in the credit card offers. Just about every single major credit card has a Platinum, Aluminum, Gold or Plutonium version.

And if you need another example of just how desperate some people are to try to achieve a level of uniqueness, listen to some of these baby names:

Apple, Daughter of actress Gwyneth Paltrow and singer Chris Martin

Arpad Flynn Alexander, Son of supermodel Elle MacPherson and Arpad Busson

Banjo, Son of actress Rachel Griffiths and Andrew Taylor

Daisy Boo, Daughter of chef Jamie Oliver and wife Juliette ("Jools")

Harley Quinn, Daughter of actor Kevin Smith and Jennifer Schwalbach

Pilot Inspektor, Son of actor Jason Lee and Beth Riesgraf

Ireland, Daughter of Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin

Kal-El Coppola, Son of actor Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim

Lyric Angel, Son of singer Ashley Parker Angel and Tiffany Lynn

Makena'lei, Daughter of actress Helen Hunt and Matthew Carnahan

Moon Unit, Daughter of singer Frank and Gail Zappa

Moxie CrimeFighter, Daughter of entertainer Penn Jillette and wife Emily

Ocean, Daughter of actors Forest and Keisha Whitaker

Petal Rainbow Blossom , Daughter of chef Jamie Oliver and wife Juliette ("Jools")

Poet Sienna Rose, Daughter of Soleil Moon Frye and Jason Goldberg

Poppy Honey, Daughter of chef Jamie Oliver and wife Juliette ("Jools")

Sparrow James Midnight, Son of Nicole Richie and Joel Madden

Tallulah Belle, Daughter of actors Demi Moore and Bruce Willis

Zuma Nesta Rock, Son of Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale


And look at some of the fashions! There are so many people that have their hair colored brightly different hues, piercings everywhere, and tattoos all over their body, just to be "unique". I even heard of the Lizard Man , a man who covered his body in tattoos and even had horns surgically implanted and his tongue surgically forked.

Clearly, being "unique" is a core part of human beings. It is natural to want to be special or different.

As Christians, we are actually commanded by God to be "peculiar".

Titus 2:14 KJV


14) Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

The word "peculiar" here actually means "being beyond special" (Strong's Bible Dictonary).

Now, I don't mean we ought to split our tongue or implant horns in our head, but people ought to see something different about us. It ought to be in the way we act, the way we talk, the way we walk. People ought to look at us and be able to say, "I don't know what it is, but they are just different. They're not like other people. I wonder what they have. I want that too."

How can we be different?

We act on the weekdays like we do on Sundays.

By being like Christ.

That's the ONLY way we can be truly Peculiar.

How weird are you?

2 comments:

  1. I submit that our distinction ought to be LOVE. The way we (as "little Christs") LOVE ought to be open-hearted, longsuffering, generous, and sacrificial. Acceptance, true concern, and forgiveness are outgrowths of Christ-love.

    Having a great love for God, and a great love for others -- this is a uniqueness that is indeed "beyond special."

    Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My greatest desire is to be distinct, but I do not think I am. Maybe I can use the excuse that because "I live a righteous life" that I have the right to get angry at those around me, primarily at work, that will not live up to a righteous standard. At the least, I find myself extremely frustrated at times, and yes, even depressed. I really am trying to learn to live in this world and be a Godly man. I am going to focus on fixing my eyes on Jesus. He is the only that I know of, that got it right.

    Thanks for being real.

    ReplyDelete